Sunday 18 March 2007

Nooo....

Paranoia. Anxiety. Worry. God, aren't they all just downright awful? I was having a good week: saw two performances of our school's "Les Miserables" production (scuse the omission of the accent); got coursework back on schedule, and so forth.

And now, I seem to be in a bout of miserableness: or is that the right word? Qui sait. All I know is that I seem to be worrying about things - but the worst thing is, for someone who lectures younger school boys in his thrice-weekly debating tutorials about rational, logical arguments, all my anxieties are completely irrational!!

Lord help women : if they get this feeling every sodding month, I admire them....hugely.

I thought that as someone who usually bottles up his feelings (which in turn have had disastrous cosequences in the past) I would attempt to articulate my worry through this blog.

Many of my friends have recently proved that geeky but loveable Dr Overill right in engaging in a full-blown blogging war: I thought that this would be less controversial, but interesting nonetheless. It's not that I want some quasi-agony aunt rabbiting on at me (though some advice and counsel would be nice); simply, what do you all think -

Should we go on about our worries, fears and anxieties?
Am I alone in feeling petrified at the thought of society's shunning me if I don't live up to everybody's expectations?

Maybe put simply, I should just yell......AU SECOURS!!!

Many of you won't understand that expression: but then, isn't that the core of the problem? Nobody really understands anyone like they themselves do. So then doesn't that beg the question,

what's the effing point?

N

4 comments:

Phil' said...

Where to start, where to start.

I'm sure it'll pass, Nick. Such irrational moments always do, and we get left as callous as before. Perhaps you've just discovered the reason I hate being human.

On the other hand, since I can't help being human, I've learned to live with it. We all have these flights of fancy, irrational fears and anxious concerns. Women seems to get them more regularly than men, but that's only a trend. And as to what's the point of such a life: living as a computer would not be life. Life is fragile and vunerable. That's what makes it so valuable.

It's just occured to me that those two distinct paragraphs show quite how split my mentality is. But I'll leave it up, becuase I'm sure others will recognise parts of it.

Tousjours pret a rendre l'assistance.

P

N said...

Thank you Phil - especially for the closing sentence. I suppose that you make quite an invaluable point with regards to human life: were it all to be 'level', one would be content, but that is all. To me, such a prospect fills me with sheer terror. On the other hand, we all have such bouts of misery, and highs of jubilation...But then, in a way we could say that this is the excitement of everyday life: despite the dreariness of la vie quotidienne, one never knows what is round the corner. Most importantly, it is, I guess, up to us what we do with our lives: and all I can say is, I'm jolly certain that I'm going to make a damm good go of it!

N

Phil' said...

Very sound, very sound. Especially the closing sentence.

P

Gavin said...

Have you ever read the poem "The Cool Web"? If not, do so. Put simply, the full range of emotions and feelings are all integral to humanity, and we lose out when we try to filter them away because they are uncomfortable or upset our "neutral" position. If we were always in neutral, we'd never get anywhere. Similarly, we can only reach 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear when we get used to Reversing some of the time too. Take that as you will.